Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Field Blog- Gesu School
While observing Mrs. Schetter, a third grade teacher at Gesu School, I learned many teaching and life lessons.  Mrs. Schetter never yelled which is something I respect and admire. You have to have control over your classroom while teaching and if you are able to do that without raising your voice, I find that honorable.  Mrs. Schetter was kind and welcoming and because of this I felt comfortable in her classroom and enjoyed her company. She taught many great lessons that I was able to witness and interact with.  I checked over the student's math homework, proofread their letters about what they were thankful for before thanksgiving and was even able to participate in their Colonial Day.  During Colonial Day, all of the students dressed up in costumes, watched Little House on the prarie, and ate a lunch consisting of cornbread and soup.  Going to visit feels so natural and homey now and I feel more involved and at ease every time I go. The first time I ever visited, I missed my alarm, didn't get to drink my morning coffee and somehow managed to get lost on my way there.  Despite all of this, I made it there on time and felt welcomed and at home. I was anxious to meet Mrs. Schetter and her class but when I walked into her classroom for the first time I knew I was going to love it.  The class immediately greeted me and asked me many questions about college and my personal life.  I could tell right away who was the class clown and who were the quieter students.  Being able to get to know the students on a more personal level was a good experience for me. I built relationships with the kids that I will never forget.  Their smiles and hugs left a bug impact on me and because of this, I know that teaching is what I want to do for the rest of my life.  I am so thankful that I got to experience teaching first hand and found my time at Gesu incredibly worth while.

No comments:

Post a Comment